Internships give students the opportunity to apply what you have learned in the classroom with work experience in a real-world environment. They allow students to try out a variety of career options and gain professional experience that will be helpful in obtaining a job after graduation. The timing and duration of internships can vary widely from programs you complete over the summer to part-time experiences throughout your academic career.
Penn State's Career Services
Penn State's Career Services is committed to offering a comprehensive array of programs and services that supports and facilitates career development for all students. Programs and resources are provided to assist students and alumni in specifying career goals, expanding knowledge of career alternatives, understanding effective decision making, and acquiring appropriate strategies and skills to carry out the process. Visit Career Services for more information.
Career Resources Center
Career Services has a Career Resource Center and Career Resource Specialist to provide and assist you with career resources. Stop by the Bank of America Career Services Center or connect with us to ask questions about our resources. Visit the Career Resource Center for more information.
Where EMS Graduates Find Jobs
Want to learn what some of our recent alums are doing after graduation? Visit Where Our Graduates Go webpage.
Want to read career advice from some of our alumni? Visit the Meet Our Alumni webpage.
Internships and Job Opportunities
NIttany Lion Careers
The College of Earth and Mineral Sciences uses Nittany Lion Careers, a free online job search system that lists current engineering co-op, internship, and entry-level full-time opportunities at hundreds of companies and government agencies across the country and around the world. Visit the Nittany Lion Careers website.
- Job descriptions are posted by employers seeking Penn State students or graduates and are reviewed and pre-approved to ensure their technical relevance.
- Students can view information about on-campus recruiting (interviews), available positions (for employers not coming to campus), and employer informational meetings, events, and presentations.
- Nittany Lion Careers is available to all undergraduate and graduate students in the Colleges of Engineering and Earth and Mineral Sciences, as well as recent alums from these colleges.
Each department in the our college has its own process for handling internship and job postings. You should talk to the faculty and staff in your home department for additional information and visit the individual department web sites:
- John and Willie Leone Family Department of Energy and Mineral Engineering Career Services
- Department of Geography Internships
- Department of Geosciences Jobs and Internships
- Materials Science and Engineering Internships and Careers
- Meteorology and Atmospheric Science Jobs
- Meteorology Career Days
Meteorology Career Days is a departmental career fair. The career fair is designed to expose students at all academic levels (freshman through seniors at the undergraduate level and all graduate students) to the range of career opportunities available to them with a degree in meteorology
- Career Fairs
Students Affairs listing of upcoming career fairs including Fall Career Days, Spring Career Days, Working in PA, and Sustainable Careers.
- Penn State Career Services Career Fairs
The University’s Office of Career Services helps students with career planning and the job search process. They hold free training seminars on resume building and interviewing skills, and they host the annual fall and spring semesters Career Fair at the Bryce Jordan Center.