Internships give students the opportunity to apply what you have learned in the classroom with work experience in a real-world environment. They allow students to try out a variety of career options and gain professional experience that will be helpful in obtaining a job after graduation. The timing and duration of internships can vary widely from programs you complete over the summer to part-time experiences throughout your academic career.
EMS Career Services
EMS Career Services is committed to offering an EMS-specific array of programs and services that supports and facilitates career development for all undergraduate EMS students. Programs and resources are provided to assist students with specifying career goals, expanding knowledge of career opportunities, understanding effective decision making, and acquiring appropriate strategies and skills to carry out the process. Please contact Kevin Fleck, Director of Career Services for the college, for more information.
Fall 2023 Office Hours on Zoom and in person: https://psu.zoom.us/my/kfleck
- Tuesdays 1:00 - 3:00 p.m. (Zoom only)
- Wednesdays 8:30 - 11:00 a.m.
- Fridays 9:30 - 11:30 a.m.
Make an appointment on Starfish!
Penn State's Career Services
Penn State's Career Services is committed to offering a comprehensive array of programs and services that supports and facilitates career development for all students. Programs and resources are provided to assist students and alumni in specifying career goals, expanding knowledge of career alternatives, understanding effective decision making, and acquiring appropriate strategies and skills to carry out the process. Visit Career Services for more information.
Where EMS Graduates Find Jobs
- Want to learn what some of our recent alums are doing after graduation? Visit Where Our Graduates Go webpage.
- Want to read career advice from some of our alumni? Visit the Meet Our Alumni webpage.
Internships and Job Opportunities
Nittany Lion Careers
The College of Earth and Mineral Sciences uses Nittany Lion Careers, a free online job search system that lists current engineering co-op, internship, and entry-level full-time opportunities at hundreds of companies and government agencies across the country and around the world. Visit the Nittany Lion Careers website.
- Job descriptions are posted by employers seeking Penn State students or graduates and are reviewed and pre-approved to ensure their technical relevance.
- Students can view information about on-campus recruiting (interviews), available positions (for employers not coming to campus), and employer informational meetings, events, and presentations.
- Nittany Lion Careers is available to all undergraduate and graduate students in the Colleges of Engineering and Earth and Mineral Sciences, as well as recent alums from these colleges.
Each department in the our college has its own process for handling internship and job postings. You should talk to the faculty and staff in your home department for additional information and visit the individual department web sites:
- John and Willie Leone Family Department of Energy and Mineral Engineering Career Services
- Department of Geography Internships
- Department of Geosciences Career Services
- Materials Science and Engineering Internships and Careers
- Meteorology and Atmospheric Science Jobs
- Meteorology Career Days
Meteorology Career Days is a departmental career fair. The career fair is designed to expose students at all academic levels (freshman through seniors at the undergraduate level and all graduate students) to the range of career opportunities available to them with a degree in meteorology
- Career Fairs
Students Affairs listing of upcoming career fairs including Fall Career Days, Spring Career Days, Working in PA, and Sustainable Careers.
- The EMS Career Fair
The College of Earth and Mineral Sciences is proud to offer the inaugural EMS Career Fair. The fair will be held on March 12, 2024, from 11 AM to 3 PM in the Eric J. Barron Innovation Hub. The EMS career fair focuses on undergraduate students in the departments of Geosciences, Geography, and the Energy Business, and Finance major. This is a great opportunity for companies to interact with students in these majors in person and engage with others from around the University. Come and join us for this great opportunity!
- Engineering Career Week
Engineering Career Week events help connect employers with Penn State engineering and technical students who are seeking internship, co-op, and entry-level full-time positions. Students from all engineering majors and degree levels are welcome.