The mission of the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences' Office of Research Administration is to support the scientific, scholarly, and creative endeavors of the faculty and students in the college. The office assists faculty, students and staff in the pursuit of external funding opportunities.
The Office of Research Administration supports the mission of the college by providing administrative and management services for sponsored projects. Sponsored projects include grants, contracts, and cooperative agreements–from both the public and private sectors–which support research, instructional and service projects.
Our goal is to provide effective and efficient support services throughout the life of all sponsored projects (pre-award, post-award, and close out). We also work to ensure compliance with Federal regulations and requirements as well as with the policies, procedures, and guidelines of the University.
- Pre-Award Services: provide proposal and budget development support services to faculty and staff necessary to identify, develop, and submit external grant and contract applications, and administers internal funding opportunities.
- Post-Award Services: provide fiscal support necessary to responsibly manage funds awarded, consistent with University policy, requirements of funding sources, and federal regulations and time/effort reporting.
- Research Compliance: provide information and training for successful preparation for and ethical implementation of research within federal, state, local and institutional regulatory practices including, but not limited to, protection of human and animal subjects, hazardous materials, biosafety and HIPAA.
- Limited Submissions: work with the Office of the Vice President for Research to respond to research funding opportunities for which a limited number of submissions are permitted from Penn State.
- COINS: Help faculty with disclosures of significant financial interests and all annual updates for COINS (Conflict Of INterest System).
- Conflict of Interest: help with individual and institutional conflict of interest policies, guidelines, and procedures and strives to ensure compliance with all federal regulations and University policies.
- Funding Opportunities: help faculty find targeted funding opportunities.
Penn State Research Offices
- Vice President for Research
- Office of Sponsored Programs
- Strategic Interdisciplinary Research Office (SIRO)
- Office for Research Protections
Where to Find Funding
- Vice President for Research Find Funding
- SciVal Funding
- Foundation Center
- Penn State Limited Submissions Program
- Proposals and Awards
- Guide to Proposal Preparation
- Write Proposal
- Develop Budget
- Internal Approval Forms
- Agency Forms and Guidelines