Academic Progress

When a student fails to make adequate progress towards maintaining a 2.00 cumulative grade point average (GPA), students are placed in academic warning and academic suspension. More information about this policy is available through the Faculty Senate. A student with a 2.00 cumulative GPA or higher is in good standing.

Academic Warning

Academic warning is the official notice for a student who has failed to maintain a 2.0 GPA. Academic Warning is a time to seek help in taking an active approach to improve academics. A student in academic warning will have a hold place on registration and will be required to meet with the faculty in charge of their program or an academic adviser in the Ryan Family Student Center.

Students in warning should make an appointment with the adviser listed for their current or intended major:

Major Contact Email
Earth Sciences and Policy Dr. Maureen Feineman
Earth Sciences Dr. Maureen Feineman
Energy Business and Finance Dr. Zhen Lei
Energy Engineering Dr. Jonathan Mathews
Environmental Systems Engineering Dr. William Groves
Geobiology Dr. Maureen Feineman
Geography Jodi Vender
Geosciences Dr. Maureen Feineman
Material Science and Engineering Dr. Allen Kimel
Meteorology Dr. Jon Nese
Mining Engineering Dr. Jeff Kohler
Petroleum and Natural Gas Engineering Dr. John Wang
Energy and Sustainability Policy (World Campus) Brandi Robinson
Haley Sankey
Undecided/exploratory Ryan Family Student Center 14 Deike Building

A student in academic warning must earn a 2.0 semester GPA to continue; a 2.0 cumulative GPA is required to return to good standing.

Academic Suspension

When a student’s cumulative grade point average (CGPA) falls below 2.00, the student is placed on academic warning (Senate Policy 54-20). When a student on academic warning earns a semester grade point average (GPA) of less than 2.00, the student is then placed on academic suspension (Senate Policy 54-40). A student who has been academically suspended may not schedule courses at the University for two consecutive semesters (Note: Summer session is equal to one semester and includes all courses offered after spring semester and before fall semester).

Example: A student on academic warning, who earns a spring 2018 semester GPA below 2.00, then placed on academic suspension, may not return to Penn State until spring 2019.

A student seeking to return from academic suspension must apply for re-enrollment (as defined in Senate Policy 58-00) and returns to the University in warning status, with their former CGPA, and with a registration hold placed on their record.

Returning to the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences from Academic Suspension

We strongly encourage all students to meet with an adviser BEFORE leaving campus to discuss past difficulty and plans for return. To return to the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences, students must meet with an adviser in the Ryan Family Student Center (14 Deike Building) as soon as possible following your suspension so a plan for your return can be worked out. To officially return to Earth and Mineral Sciences, please follow the three steps below.

  1. Prepare a letter requesting re-enrollment into the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences that includes:
    1. Your name, PSU ID number, PSU User ID (ex: abc1234), phone number, and email address.
    2. Reflection on past goals and performance. Why did you have difficulty when you last attended Penn State?  What are you going to do in the future to avoid these problems?
    3. What has been accomplished while away for two consecutive semesters? What have you been doing/plan to do during your suspension that will assist your return?
    4. What is your current academic goal/plan?
    5. What campus services will support you upon your return and how will you use these resources 
    6. Submit your letter of request to the Ryan Family Student Center: send an email to with your letter as an attached PDF; or, fax your letter to 814-863-3349.
  2. Contact the Ryan Family Student Center at 814-863-2751 to schedule an appointment (either in person or over the phone) to discuss your letter and request for re-enrollment with an academic adviser. While the appointment may occur after the deadline listed below, you must be scheduled for an appointment by the deadline.
    Deadlines to submit your letter and call to schedule an appointment:
    1. December 1: Re-enrollment for spring semester
    2. April 1: Re-enrollment for summer semester
    3. July 15: Re-enrollment for fall semester
  3. Following your appointment with an academic adviser, and with adviser support, complete and submit the re-enrollment form to the University Registrar by the deadline date indicated on the Registrar’s website. Please note: after an adviser has supported your request, you are encouraged to complete the Registrar’s re-enrollment form as soon as possible. Waiting until the deadline delays your ability to plan your return or schedule classes for that semester.