Created in 1989, the Wilson Research Award honors EMS faculty members who have excelled in research and expresses the gratitude and appreciation of the college. Members of the college faculty, as defined by the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences' Constitution, are eligible.
This award is given in recognition of meritorious service represented by a single contribution or a series of contributions around a coherent theme. The contribution may represent application of knowledge in the creation of an activity or service useful to society. The achievement for which the candidate is to be honored shall have occurred or culminated during the five years preceding the nomination for the award.
The achievement for which the candidate is to be honored shall have occurred or culminated during the five years preceding the nomination for the award.
The recipient shall be honored with a recognition memento and a monetary award at the Wilson Awards Banquet held each spring.
Annually in December, the dean will invite nominations for the Wilson Award for Excellence in Research from each department and institute. Each department and institute may submit one nomination. The nomination packet should include:
- Biographical information about the nominee
- Detailed description of the achievement
- Documented evidence (e.g, letters) that substantiates the claim of the national or international importance of the achievement (minimum of 3 documents)
- Recent high-resolution color photograph suitable for the program
The nomination materials should be submitted electronically to Diane Ault (email@example.com) along with four hard copies sent to the Office of the Associate Dean for Graduate Education and Research in 248 Deike Building by no later than February 15. Nominations received by the deadline will be reviewed by a committee consisting of the dean and the associate deans in the college.
- 2017: Terry Engelder and Alan Taylor
- 2016: Jerry Harrington and Qing Wang
- 2015: James Kubicki
- 2014: James Runt
- 2013: Katherine H. Freeman
- 2012: Derek Elsworth and Joan M. Redwing
- 2011: Kenneth J. Davis
- 2010: Chris J. Marone and Suzanne E. Mohney
- 2009: Charles J. Ammon and André L. Boehman
- 2008: Zi-Kui Liu and Donna J. Peuquet
- 2007: Lee R. Kump and Anne M. Thompson
- 2006: Susan Trolier-McKinstry
- 2005: William M. Frank and Venkatraman Gopalan
- 2004: Ralph H. Colby, Turgay Ertekin, and Mark N. Gahegan
- 2003: William Easterling and Clive Randall
- 2002: Harold Schobert, Sanat Kumar, and John Wyngaard
- 2001: Hiroshi Ohmoto and Darrell Schlom
- 2000: Michael A. Arthur, Long-Qing Chen, and Chunshan Song
- 1999: David J. Green
- 1998: Tze-Chiang Chung and Alan MacEachren
- 1997: Susan L. Brantley and Digby D. Macdonald
- 1996: Carlo G. Pantano and Rudy L. Slingerland
- 1995: Deryck Holdsworth and Kwadwo Osseo-Asare
- 1994: William H. Brune III
- 1993: Tarasankar DebRoy and Kevin P. Furlong
- 1992: Eric J. Barron and Gary L. Messing
- 1991: Michael M. Coleman and Paul C. Painter
- 1990: Barry Voight
- 1989: Howard W. Pickering and Peter J. Webster