This award is given in recognition of meritorious service represented by a single contribution or a series of contributions around a coherent theme. The recipient shall be honored with a recognition memento and a monetary award at the Wilson Awards Banquet held each spring.
The meritorious service represented by a single contribution or a series of contributions may represent application of knowledge in the creation of an activity or service useful to society. The achievement for which the candidate is to be honored shall have occurred or culminated during the five years preceding the nomination for the award.
Annually in September, the dean invites nominations for the G. Montgomery and Marion Mitchell Award for Innovative Teaching from each department and institute. Reminders are sent in November.
Each department and institute may submit one nomination (submitted by the department head or director) and the nomination packet should include:
- a letter from a department head or institute director providing a description or assessment of the innovative techniques employed by the nominee
- a recent color high-resolution portrait photograph suitable for the program in jpeg format
The nomination materials should be submitted electronically to Diane Ault (firstname.lastname@example.org) no later than February 15.
Members of the college faculty, as defined by the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences' Constitution, are eligible.
Nominations received by the deadline will be reviewed by a committee consisting of the dean and the associate deans in the college.
- 2021: Team of Jennifer Babb, Megan Kohler, April Millet, Jane Sutterlin, Maria Wherley, and Mark Wherley
- 2020: Charles Ammon
- 2019: Ismaila Dabo; Eugene C. Morgan
- 2018: Mort Webster
- 2017: Timothy Bralower
- 2016: Eugene Clothiaux and Jon Nese
- 2015: Joshua Robinson and R. Allen Kimel
- 2014: Anthony Robinson
- 2013: Robert G. Crane
- 2012: Petra Tschakert
- 2011: David M. Bice
- 2010: Eliza Richardson Marone
- 2009: Todd Bacastow
- 2008: Peter Heaney
- 2007: Sarma Pisupati
- 2006: Deryck Holdsworth
- 2005: Cynthia Brewer
- 2004: Richard Alley
- 2003: David Babb, Peter Flemming, and Lee Grenci
- 2002: Jonathan Mathews
- 2001: Kevin Furlong
- 2000: David DiBiase
- 1999: Alistair Fraser