This award was created to honor faculty members in the college for their outstanding work in mentoring students or junior faculty members. The recipient shall be honored with a recognition memento and a monetary award at the Wilson Awards Banquet held each spring.
The three main categories of contributions are as follows:
- faculty members mentoring undergraduate or graduate students
- senior faculty members mentoring junior faculty members
- faculty members assisting under-represented students
Members of the college faculty, as defined by the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences' Constitution, are eligible.
Nominations are solicited from departments and institutes (typically there is a limit of one nomination per category per department or institute; see the Nomination Procedure guidance under each award). Department heads and institute directors are able to provide new nominations or request reconsideration of last year’s nominees. A selection committee, comprising the deans of the college, reviews and discusses the nominations and selects the recipient in each category.
Annually in September, the dean invites nominations for the Faculty Mentoring Award from each department and institute. Reminders are sent in November.
Each department and institute may submit one nomination (submitted by the department head or director) and the nomination packet should include
- a letter from a department head or institute director that describes in sufficient detail the contribution by the faculty member as it relates to one of the categories noted above in the Focus description.
- a recent color high-resolution portrait photograph in jpeg format
The nomination materials should be submitted no later than February 15.
Faculty Mentoring Award Nomination Form
Associate Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
- 2021: Luis Ayala, Guido Cervone, Kenneth Davis, Suzanne Mohney, and Mark Patzkowsky
- 2020: Clive Randall
- 2019: Jeffrey L. Kohler
- 2018: Johannes Verlinde
- 2017: Andrew Carleton and Michael Hickner
- 2016: Lorraine Dowler
- 2015: Eugene Clothiaux
- 2014: Venkatraman Gopalan
- 2013: Joan M. Redwing
- 2012: Sarma Pisupati
- 2011: Zi-Kui Liu
- 2010: R. Larry Grayson
- 2009: Elizabeth Bailey, Turgay Ertekin, Deryck Holdsworth, Jennifer Macalady, Susan Trolier-McKinstry, Anne Thompson
- 2008: James Kubicki, Derek Elsworth, Brenton Yarnal, Katherine Freeman, James Runt, Lee Grenci
- 2007: M. Thaddeus Ityokkumbul, James Detwiler, Timothy White, Andrew Kleit, Andre Boehman, Denice Wardrop, Richard Alley, Paul Howell, Dennis Thomson
- 2006: Douglas Miller, Todd Bacastow, Chunshan Song, Melissa Wright, Peter Heaney, David Green, Jerry Harrington
- 2005: Myron McClure, Ann Taylor Luck, Lisa Brown, Mark Klima, Caroline Burgess Clifford, Mark Ga-hegan, Lee Kump, Paul Painter, George Young
- 2004: Elizabeth King, Douglas Miller, Phillip Halleck, Sharon Miller, Brenton Yarnal, Susan Brantley, Allen Kimel, Eugene Clothiaux
- 2003: Glenn Johnson, David Pollard, Robert Watson, Gareth Mitchell, Lorraine Dowler, Tanya Furman, John Hellmann, Hampton Shirer