Created in 2021, the EMS Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Awards honors staff who have demonstrated exemplary leadership that manifests the ideals of diversity, equity and inclusion into practical action. This award will be awarded annually by the EMS Office of Educational Equity, Diversity and Inclusion. Award is named after Dr. Charles Hosler, a former dean of the college and a strong proponent of diversity, equity and inclusion.
These awards are given in recognition of staff who have gone above and beyond in demonstrating awareness, leadership, or commitment to promoting and fostering diversity, equity and inclusion in the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences. They are designed to foster an academically enriching and supportive climate for all members of our community and to sustain an inclusive environment, especially for those underrepresented with respect to social identities such as race, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, and socioeconomic status. An inclusive culture respects and celebrates this diversity as a means to enhance the EMS community.
Nominations may be initiated by anyone in the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences community, including faculty, staff, postdoctoral scholars and students. Those with joint appointments or students with dual majors or minors are also eligible to submit nominations. Note: Self-nominations are not allowed.
Each nomination must consist of:
- A completed online nomination form
- One supporting letter of recommendation, illustrating specific examples describing how the nominee contributes to an inclusive culture within the context of the college’s mission
- Recent high-resolution color photograph suitable for the program in jpg format
Outstanding accomplishments and general impact
Activities that promote the professional and/or academic advancement of members of underrepresented groups. Examples of activities might include:
- Recruitment of underrepresented students, faculty, or staff
- Exemplary leadership that manifests the ideals of diversity, equity and inclusion into practical action
- Activities that have contributed to raising awareness and consciousness about diversity and inclusion within the context of the college’s mission
- Student- or staff-centered inclusion initiatives
- Multicultural programming or related initiatives
- Community outreach activities
The nomination materials should be submitted no later than November 3, 2023.
- Minimum of 12 months of service at Penn State
- Staff may earn this award no more than once every five years
Nominations received by the deadline will be reviewed by a committee consisting of a sub-set of the EMS Diversity Council. Potential awardees will be vetted by Human Resources prior to finalizing their selection.The recipient shall be honored with a recognition memento at the annual Staff Appreciation Luncheon typically held in December.
- Address questions to: email@example.com. Subject line: EMS Diversity Awards