Starting fall 2020, the college will be hosting numerous celebratory events to commemorate the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences' 125th anniversary and they will be posted below when details are confirmed. Please check back often as this page will be updated frequently.
Upcoming GEMS Virtual Educational Series Webinars
- November 9, 2021: GEMS 125th Anniversary Educational Series
Noon.; Brian King, Head and professor of geography
Virtual lecture: "Infectious Addictions: Geographies of Colliding Epidemics"
- August 26: GEMS 125th Anniversary Educational Series
7:00 p.m.; James Kasting, Evan Pugh University Professor of Geosciences
"Habitable Zones and the Search for Life on Planets Around Other Stars"
- June 22: GEMS 125th Anniversary Educational Series
Clive Randall, director of the Materials Research Institute
"Cold Sintering of Functional Materials with a View Toward Sustainability"
- April 20, 2021: GEMS 125th Anniversary Educational Series
Tim White, research professor and director of the EMS Sustainability Council
"Sustainability Initiatives Aimed at Environmental Footprint Reduction in the College of EMS"
- Feb. 16: GEMS 125th Anniversary Educational Series
Speaker: Seth Blumsack, John and Willie Leone Family Department of Energy and Mineral Engineering
"Beyond the Power Grid: The Next Generation of Energy Transitions (and the people who will make them happen)"
- Dec. 15, 2020: GEMS 125th Anniversary Virtual Educational Series
Speaker: Rob Lydick, host and forecaster for Weather World and researcher in the Department of Meteorology and Atmospheric Science, launched the virtual GEMS series
Talk: "New Mission for Weather World"