Starting fall 2020, the college will be hosting numerous celebratory events to commemorate the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences' 125th anniversary and they will be posted below when details are confirmed. Please check back often as this page will be updated frequently.
Upcoming 125th Research Spotlight Videos
- Date TBA, Village Lecture Series: Conversations with Colleagues
Bill Easterling, "National Science Foundation Initiatives on the Environment"
Previous 125th Research Spotlight Videos
- July 2, 2021: "Piezoelectric films for microelectromechanical systems"
Susan Trolier-Mckinstry, the Steward S. Flaschen Professor of Ceramic Science and Engineering, Professor of Electrical Engineering, and Director of the Nanofabrication facility at the Pennsylvania State, discusses using piezoelectric films for microelectromechanical systems.
- June 17, 2021: "Sounds of hurricanes with Jenni Evans"
Jenni Evans, professor of meteorology and atmospheric science, illustrates the intense hurricane year of 2005 using sound with help from Mark Ballora, professor of music technology in the Penn State School of Music
- June 17, 2021: Jenni Evans, director of the Penn State Institute for Computational and Data Science and professor of meteorology and atmospheric science
Evans discusses the roots of her work, what drives her to do hurricane research and how supercomputing advances that research
- June 17, 2021: Jenni Evans, director of the Institute for Computational and Data Sciences
Discussion on how the ICDS is expanding and aiding a wide range of research endeavors across Penn State
- June 2, 2021: Village Lecture Series: Conversations with Colleagues
Guido Cervone, professor of geography and professor of meteorology and atmospheric science, "Did COVID reduced mobility reduce atmospheric emissions?"
- April 22, 2021: Village Lecture Series: Conversations with Colleagues
Bill Brune, professor of meteorology, "Lightning Splits More than Trees: It Splits Molecules Too"
- April 2, 2021: Sridhar Anandakrishnan, professor of geosciences
"Glaciers and Sea Level in a Warming Climate: Slip slidin' away"
- March 25, 2021: Village Lecture Series: Conversations with Colleagues
Erica Smithwick, Distinguished Professor of Geography, "Role of Wildlife on Ecosystem Function"
- Feb. 25, 2021: Village Lecture Series: Conversations with Colleagues (part of the Pioneers in Remote and Online Education series)
Ann Taylor, Director of the John A. Dutton e-Education Institute, "What will Teaching and Learning Look Like Post-Pandemic?"
- Jan. 28: Village Lecture Series: Conversations with Colleagues
Jim Kasting, Evan Pugh University Professor of Geosciences, "Habitable Zones and the Search of Life on Planets Around Other Stars"