This award is designed to assist faculty in continuing and furthering their contributions in teaching, research, and public service. The recipient shall be honored with a recognition memento and a monetary award at the Wilson Awards Banquet held each spring.
Funds may be used to support research expenses, release time to develop new courses or programs, educational and travel expenses, graduate assistant salaries, and other support services.
Annually in September, the dean invites nominations for the John T. Ryan Faculty Fellowship from each department and institute. Reminders are sent in November.
Each department and institute may submit one nomination (submitted by the department head or director) and the nomination packet should include:
- a letter from a department head or institute director that describes in sufficient detail the faculty member's research.
- nominee's current curriculum vitae
- recent high-resolution color photograph suitable for the program in jpeg format
EMS full-time, tenure-line faculty.
Nominations are solicited from departments and institutes (typically there is a limit of one nomination per category per department or institute; see the Nomination Procedure guidance under each award). Department heads and institute directors are able to provide new nominations or request reconsideration of last year’s nominees. A selection committee, comprising the deans of the college, reviews and discusses the nominations and selects the recipient in each category.
- 2021: José Fuentes, Professor of Meteorology
- 2020: Eugene Clothiaux, Professor of Meteorology and Atmospheric Science
- 2019: Mort D. Webster, Professor of Energy and Mineral Engineering
- 2018: Lorraine Dowler, Professor of Geography
- 2018: Gregory Jenkins, Professor of Meteorology
- 2017: Jennifer Baka, Assistant Professor of Geography
- 2016: Sukyoung Lee, Professor of Meteorology
- 2014: Seth Blumsack, Professor of Energy and Mineral Engineering
- 2011: Seth Blumsack, Professor of Energy and Mineral Engineering
- 2008: Sarma V. Pisupati, Professor of Energy and Mineral Engineering
- 2008: Lakshman S. Yapa, Professor of Geography
- 2005: Kenneth J. Davis, Professor of Meteorology
- 2005: Elizabeth C. Dickey, Professor of Materials Science and Engineering
- 2005: Peter D. Wilf, Professor of Geosciences
- 2000: Andre L. Boehman, Professor of Fuel Science; Materials Science and Engineering
- 2000: Mark S. Gahegan, Professor of Geography