The EMS Centennial Research Travel Award supports graduate students’ travel related to their research. Preference will be given to students wishing to present research at professional society meetings, students in need of funds for field work, and students with little previous conference or field experience.
- Be enrolled as a full-time graduate student for the 2022-23 academic year.
- Travel between July 1, 2022 and June 30, 2023; and before the student graduates.
How to Apply / Deadline
- Please complete and submit the form below. Deadline extended to Sunday, March 13, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. ET.
- Submit all attachments (information for numbers 2-4 below) as a single pdf file using the naming convention: LastName_FirstName_Department.pdf
Examples of successful application packets from previous years
Application Packet Checklist
1. Application form (submit this form plus upload pdf that includes requested content)
2. Merit: Short responses to the following questions
(Word count limit: 1,000 words TOTAL, single-spaced, 12-point font). Note: references do not count in the 1000-word limit.
- How is your current research innovative and necessary?
- How will this research be useful to both the scientific community and society in general?
- How will this travel award contribute to your graduate research and professional goals?
The responses are to be written by the student for the broad scientific audience of the Graduate Student Council, briefly describing the merit of his/her research and why the funds will be helpful. All applicants are allowed to have a maximum of one figure included in their application.
3. Proposed travel budget
The funds are to be used for scholarly travel. Please submit the proposed conference or field work destination and a tentative budget. Budget should be itemized, and estimated expenses should be as comprehensive, specific, and detailed as possible (e.g. conference registration, airfare, hotel, etc.). Your budget may exceed the award amount, so long as it is clear how the funds will supplement your travel.
4. Curriculum Vitae
(MAXIMUM of 2 pages, single-spaced, 12-point font)
- Research accomplishments
- Academic accomplishments
- Oral/poster presentations
- Other activities
5. One letter of recommendation by a faculty member
Letter of recommendation (submitted electronically at https://www.ems.psu.edu/form/ems-centennial-graduate-research-travel-awa...) should include justification for how this award can benefit the student’s research interests.