The EMS Centennial Research Travel Award supports graduate students travel related to their research. Preference will be given to students wishing to present research at professional society meetings, students in need of funds for field work, and students with little previous conference or field experience.
Travel must occur during the fall 2018, spring 2019, or summer 2019 semesters.
Enrolled full-time graduate student for 2018/2019 academic year.
How to Apply / Deadline
- Complete and submit the form below by 5:00 p.m. on Friday, February 9, 2018
- Have faculty adviser send Letter of Recommendation to the EMS Office of the Associate Dean for Graduate Education and Research.
Letter of recommendation should include justification for how this award can benefit the student’s research interests. Please have adviser send letter to Karen Royer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applications will be forwarded to the Graduate Student Council for review and recipient selection. (Please note: Applicants will not be reviewed by their own department representatives.)
Learn about the EMS Graduate Student Council
Merit of Research and Proposed Travel
Please upload a pdf file that provides short responses to the below questions along with travel budget. Allow one paragraph for each response, MAXIMUM 2 pages total, single-spaced, 12-point font.
The responses are to be written by the student for the broad scientific audience of the Graduate Student Council, briefly describing the merit of your research and why the funds will be helpful.
- How is your current research innovative and necessary?
- How will this research be useful to both the scientific community and society in general?
- How will this travel award contribute to your graduate research and professional goals?
The funds are to be used for scholarly travel. Please include the proposed conference or field work destination and a tentative budget. Budget should be itemized and estimated expenses should be as comprehensive, specific, and detailed as possible (e.g. conference registration, airfare, hotel, etc.). Your budget may exceed the award amount, so long as it is clear how the funds will supplement your travel.
Please upload your CV (pdf fomat - MAXIMUM 2 pages, single-spaced, 12-point font). Please include in your CV:
- Research accomplishments
- Academic accomplishments Awards
- Oral/poster presentations
- Other activities