Graduate admission, and admission with financial aid, is granted on a competitive basis to those presenting the strongest credentials. Teaching and research assistantships are the most common form of graduate support. They typically include a stipend, tuition remission, and a subsidy for medical insurance. Learn more below.
- John and Willie Family Department of Mineral and Energy Engineering
Financial assistance is available through fellowships, research assistantships, and teaching assistantships. The level of stipend is based on the applicant's experience, academic record, and potential for graduate work.
- Department of Geography
Department supports master's and doctoral students
- Department of Geosciences
The department offers graduate scholarships, fellowships, and awards
- Department of Materials Science and Engineering
Most graduate students are supported by research assistantships that provide both a stipend and tuition.
- Department of Meterology and Atmospheric Science
The department attempts to support all students in the department through either fellowships or assistantships.
COLLEGE AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE
- Anne C. Wilson Graduate Fellowship
- Arnulf I. Muan Graduate Fellowship in Earth and Mineral Sciences
- Carl H. and Helen H. Chelius Graduate Fellowship in Earth Sciences
- Marathon Alumni Centennial Graduate Fellowship in the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences
UNIVERSITY AWARDS FOR EXCELLENCE
- Alumni Association Dissertation Award
- Academic Computing Fellowship
- AT&T Graduate Fellowship
- Bunton Waller Graduate Awards Program
- Graham Endowment Fellowship Program
- Distinguished Graduate Fellowship
- Funds for Excellence in Graduate Recruitment Assistantships
- University Graduate Fellowship
- George Schenck Teaching Assistant of the Year Award
This award was created to honor and to recognize a graduate student in the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences who has performed his or her responsibility as a graduate teaching assistant in an exemplary manner and has been named teaching assistant of the year in his or her department.
- Harold F. Martin Graduate Assistant Outstanding Teaching Award
The Harold F. Martin Graduate Assistant Outstanding Teaching Award recognizes graduate assistants for outstanding teaching performance. This award is jointly sponsored by the Graduate School, through the Harold F. Martin Graduate Assistant Outstanding Teaching Award endowment, and the Office of the Vice President and Dean for Undergraduate Education.
- EMS Centennial Graduate Research Travel Award
The Centennial Research Award is given to exceptional graduate students in recognition of their outstanding research while enrolled in the College of Earth and Mineral Sciences.
- Global Programs Graduate Student Travel Grant
The University Office of Global Programs (UOGP) maintains a fund to support graduate travel related to the presentation of the scholarly work of Penn State graduate students at international conferences or other major professional meetings outside the United States. The goal is to promote and support global leadership in scholarship and international engagements.